Tuesday, March 4, 2014

What Exactly CAN You Eat?

Ever since my diet turn-around in October of 2012, I've been through a series of emotions that has been like a roller coaster ride in a grocery store.  Let's face it, food is the center of culture - every holiday, family get togethers, weddings and funerals, church functions and business meetings, anywhere you go, there is going to be food.  (And if there's not food, you're going to be irritated because they didn't feed you!)  From coffee and doughnuts, to a full spread.  And you eat.  Because that's what you're supposed to do.  You don't want to offend anybody. 

So, what do you do when you are faced with a situation where there is nothing that is safe for you to eat?  It's not that I don't like turkey with stuffing and gravy.  It's not that your chocolate pie looks too fattening.  It's not that your spaghetti and meatballs aren't like mom used to make.  It's just that if I eat that stuffing or that pasta dinner, I'm going to feel like I got run over by a Mac truck and won't be able to get out of bed tomorrow.  One taste of that creamy dessert, and within hours I will be so congested I will barely be able to breathe.  I'm afraid to eat anywhere but home, because I don't know exactly what is in everything.  It's a bother to ask about every single ingredient in every single thing, and quite frankly, it's embarrassing.

While people who know my story express their happiness for me that I'm feeling so much better, most still don't seem to understand the seriousness of the issue - people are constantly saying things to me like, "Just have a little", "Just a little won't hurt you, will it?"  "Can you eat this?"  "Can you eat that?"  and, my personal favorite, "What exactly CAN you eat?" 

I know people mean well, but I have actually had to go through something like a grieving process with food.  I've had to make major changes in the way I think about food.  I've had to say goodbye to certain foods that have been around my entire life and are part of my family's cultural background.  Do you have any idea what it's like being an Italian American who can't eat pasta or cheese?!   I feel like an alien on this planet.  

Thankfully, I have a very supportive husband, who has helped me feel more confident about telling people, "I have a very specific diet" without feeling guilty about offending anyone.

I started on this journey feeling very lost, confused and alone.  I've learned a lot, but there is still so much I don't understand.  I've "brown bagged" Thanksgiving dinner, and tried out lots of crazy recipes (some of them actually very good!).

The most important thing I've learned, and  that I want to share with you, is that what I CAN eat is...

FOOD.

There is such a wide array of veggies, fruits, and even grains, that so many people don't even know exist let alone what to do with them.  I have always enjoyed trying new foods, so I try to see it as an adventure.  I've learned how to roast a spaghetti squash and how to make the most amazing chocolate cupcakes out of black beans.  I've learned how to make kale chips and parsnip noodles and avocado pudding.  I've learned to appreciate foods in their purist natural form and to experiment with them, as well.  I am not a vegetarian, I enjoy all kinds of meats, but I have learned to listen to my body and know when I've "enjoyed" too much. 

I've learned that "gluten free" processed junk food is still... well, processed junk food, and that too much of a good thing is never a good thing.

I want to share all of this, because I want everyone to learn to eat real food.  But, I also want people to know that it's okay if you can't afford to eat all organic produce and grass-fed meats.  Guess what - I can't!   I buy what is on sale that week and hope for the best!  I'm fully aware of the health benefits of all organic, and of the dangers of not eating organic, and of the balance in my checking account.  But I fully believe - and have seen the evidence - that your body WILL respond to any real attempt you make at treating it right.


   

No comments:

Post a Comment