Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Day 3 - Live Free and Die-Off Hard?

Yesterday, I discovered rutabaga.  I can't believe I never knew about this stuff!  I absolutely love it.  It's the only root vegetable allowed on the candida diet (besides carrots), and is actually recommended.  Here is another article I found that explains a bit about how the rutabaga works in fighting candida.   I'm not sure what effect cooking has on the anti-fungal properties, but today I am preparing myself for die-off symptoms.  I did wake up at 2:00 am with a sudden jarring pain in my lower abdomen, but it passed as quickly as it came, and I went right back to sleep after a quick trip to the bathroom.  So far, I felt pretty crummy this morning (weak, woozy), but I'm not sure if that was die-off or just being ready to eat.

So, what is die-off?  I am so glad you asked!

Here is the best article on candida die-off that I have found.  I do a lot of research on the internet, and I think we all know that can be a dangerous thing!  You've got to have common sense, and it can be hard sometimes to know what to believe, especially when you are dealing with the unknown mysteries of your body and health.  I need to state again that I am not endorsing any product - I am not selling anything or making any money from advertising anything - but I like when I find information that is simple to read and yet intelligent, and it may just so happen to be advertising a certain product.  

Simply put, "die-off" is the body's reaction to the toxins released by candida yeast literally "dying off".  Your body has to work extra hard to rid itself of those toxins, which can cause some pretty unpleasant side effects.  They say it always gets darkest just before the dawn, and the symptoms of candida die-off are really just a signal to you that you're doing it right.  


Some possible symptoms of candida die-off:
fatigue
aches and pains
depression
lethargy
itchy ears or skin
heavy foggy head
memory issues and confusion
feeling like you have the flu
nausea
diarrhea
old symptom flare up 
generally feeling worse

Not fun stuff, I know.  Now is the time for self-discipline!  Because you may want to quit, but if you are experiencing these symptoms, that means it's working!  You've got to ride it out, make sure you are drinking plenty of water, try a steamy hot shower for a "sauna" effect, or epsom salt bath (soak for twenty minutes in a hot bath with epsom salts - be sure to shower off after).  

I tried this lovely  lemon ginger detox drink this morning, and I really like it.  Many of your allowed foods for the diet are liver cleansing foods, so make sure you eat variety.

When you are feeling at your worst, just keep in mind - you have been putting real, healthy food into your body, and that can only be good!

For breakfast this morning, I finished off the rutabaga - yum!
Later, I had steamed broccoli, with onions.
For lunch, I had two eggs, fried with onions and spinach - I like to use fresh baby spinach and let it wilt over the top of the hot food for just a minute before eating.  I also absolutely love kale this way.  I didn't photograph my lunch, because I burned it.  That happens sometimes with me.

But here is a pic of the fabulous roasted veggies (carrots, broccoli, onion, asparagus - tossed with olive oil and a little sea salt) I had for dinner, along with a turkey burger.

1 comment:

  1. Carrots are sweet and onion is high on the FODMAP. Any thoughts on that?

    ReplyDelete