Sunday, March 16, 2014

Day 14 - Half Way There

If you've been eating like I have for the past two weeks, then hopefully by now you are noticing some difference in the way you feel.  

I, personally, have a lot more energy than I have in years, which is the biggest thing I had hoped for for myself in doing this 28 day "canida diet + blood type diet" plan.  Even if things aren't looking up for you just yet, know that you are doing good for your body, and your body, in return, will do good for you.  

I promised to share some more recipes with you this weekend, including my favorite salty snack.  So, here goes...

Last week, I made this wonderful broccoli soup.  I had found the recipe online a few years ago, but it wasn't until this past week that I started to wonder if the same thing could be done with other vegetables.  With the same concept, I made a delicious carrot-almond-ginger soup. 


I started with a 1 pound bag of carrots and a 2 inch piece of ginger root.  Cut both the carrots and the ginger into small chunks, and boil in water until soft.  Drain and rinse in cold water, then add to blender with about 1/2 cup cold water, and puree.  Mix the puree in a pot with 2 cups almond milk, and heat to boil.  Add sea salt to taste.





This soup tastes absolutely amazing, but, it is very... well... orange.  Oh well, says I, here's to eating natural colors!




During the last two weeks, I have discovered a few foods that were new to me, including sardines.  I liked the sardines, but I was left wondering what exactly to do with them...


I invented a great way to use sardines for a nutritious and tasty snack.  Simply mix sardines with juice of 1/2 a lemon, and a few sprigs of parsley, chopped.



I used this mix to stuff celery boats, and I bet it would be good on a salad, as well.




I also experimented with onion rings this week...


I used my homemade almond meal.  Just dip the onion rings in a beaten egg, and then in the almond meal.  


Place on a lightly oiled cookie sheet, and bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes on each side.






Lastly, and my personal favorite - kale chips!

Yes, you read that right - kale.  Chips.

(You will be pleasantly surprised.)

You need several larger pieces of kale.  You will want to cut the leaves away from the thick center vein and discard that.  Toss the leaves in a bit of olive oil to lightly coat, and then sprinkle with sea salt.  I will caution you to go lightly on the salt; once the chips are baked they are very flavorful, and you can easily over do it with the salt.


Lay the pieces on a cookie sheet in a single layer.  They won't lie completely flat, but that's okay.


Bake at 350 degrees for 7 - 10 minutes.  Watch them closely, so they don't burn.  


That's it.  
The kale chips are so light and crisp and full of flavor, 
you definitely will not be able to eat just one!




I enjoy a variety of foods, and I really had to start being creative once my diet became so restricted.  I'm still learning, and as we've seen this month, I'm still discovering new foods and enjoying every minute of the adventure.  

If you find that you feel better after cutting out a certain kind of food that was once your favorite, try not to think of what you're missing, but focus on the good you are doing for your body, and set out to discover foods that both you and your body can agree on.  

Real food can be so good!







No comments:

Post a Comment