Friday, March 21, 2014

Day 19 - A Little Indulgence Goes a Long Way

I wouldn't say it was a bad day, but before noon I  found myself hopelessly lost in a town I'm not familiar with, on snowy roads with "iffy" breaks.  One wrong turn led to another, guided by the robotic voice of my smartphone GPS app, who impatiently "rerouted" as needed, and in the end, I figure, I went about an hour out of my way for a "quick" errand.

I finally reached my destination, for a five-minute stop.  Upon leaving, I nearly turned out the "IN".  It was that kind of day.  I caught my mistake just in time, and pulled out only to be almost hit head-on by someone who was turning in the "OUT".  Heavens!  Was everybody having that kind of day?!  

It was the kind of day that could try even the strongest of wills.

It was the kind of day that makes a gluten free wife envy her husband's breakfast toast.

The kind of day that makes you want... cake.

And, cake I thought about!  

But, I didn't do it.

I went to work with my husband today, and up the street from the office is a pretty nice health food store.  I went, looking for a treat to settle my weary soul.  Seaweed chips were just the thing.  

I know what you must be thinking - seaweed chips can in no way possibly resemble cake!  But, that's what's so great about doing this diet - my thoughts could be quickly redirected.  A little urge for something sweet - brought on by emotions - is truly not the same as a craving that is the result of your body being deprived of nutrients for so long that it thinks it needs some junk food to fill the gap.

When you realize that your body can live - and live well - on real food, you can begin learning to indulge without overdoing it.  A bite of chocolate, instead of a whole candy bar.  A candy bar on Friday, instead of one every day of the week.  A piece of cake at a birthday party, a slice of pie at Thanksgiving.  Ice cream on a hot summer night - but, not every night of the summer!  Learning to listen to your body, and getting to know your trigger foods, also means you will be able to indulge occasionally without regretting it in the morning.  

Of course, it will take discipline at first.  I know all too well how easily one can get caught up in all the pleasures of desserts, not to mention, salty snacks, sodas and fast food.  Certain social situations almost require poor food choices, but it's okay to be the odd man out if it means preserving your health.  It's perfectly okay to say, "No, thank you."  It is more than okay to bring along an alternative healthy treat to share - even if it does get you some funny looks.  Don't worry, your friends and family will get used to it.  And, if you feel better, they will take notice.


Seaweed chips was not my only indulgence today.  
I also sprung for store-bought salad dressing.


 An expense, for sure, but so full of healthy stuff, and so very tasty.
  


I reasoned that everything on the ingredients list matched my list of allowed foods for my 28-day plan, and it even included those wonderful probiotics.  

A little indulgence can really go a long way - in either a good or bad direction.  
When you feel the need to treat yourself, keep your body in mind - it will thank you!


                   






  







No comments:

Post a Comment