Monday, March 24, 2014

Day 22 - Try It, You Might Like It...

This month has been a real learning experience for me, in that I've tasted lots of new foods that I had never eaten before.  

This past weekend, I tried kelp noodles for the first time.  This was a completely new concept for me, and so far I have mixed feelings...


The kelp noodles have absolutely no flavor (so, if you're thinking "seaweed", don't let that deter you).  I can definitely see them being a versatile replacement for pasta with your favorite sauces, or noodles in oriental dishes.  My one problem with them is that I haven't yet learned how to soften them - they are... crunchy.  



Yes, kelp noodles are crunchy, but there is apparently some trick to softening them, which involves marinating them over night.  I found this video explaining how to soften kelp noodles.  (I'm not too sure about this woman's attire for the kitchen, and the background music seemed a little suggestive as well, but she does show you how to marinate the noodles.)

I myself  have not tried this method yet, and I used up my whole bag of kelp noodles.  I will definitely be trying this in the future, though.  Also, you can find lots of recipes for salads using the kelp noodles, and I think the crunch would come in great for those.

I mixed mine with stir-fried broccoli and bamboo shoots, and served along-side baked tilapia.

So, I have now - in the past three weeks - experienced rutabaga, sardines, leeks, celery root, and kelp noodles, all for the very first time!  I'm happy to report that I've liked them all, and so have added a few new items to my healthy diet.  Variety is very important to me, since I'm limited as to what I can safely eat.  From all of my health issues, the pain and suffering and unanswered questions, I've gained so much knowledge and experience of real food.  The only thing I would change is how late in life I discovered all of these fabulous foods.  

My advice to you is, let your food be food, and enjoy the adventure - try it, you might like it!   

No comments:

Post a Comment