Friday, March 28, 2014

Day 26 - Eating Out

Throughout this month, I've tried to give you some ways to be frugal about doing this diet.  I think one of the big reasons why people eat processed junk food is because it can be convenient and cheap.  If you are on the go a lot, it can be difficult to learn to take time for shopping and preparing fresh foods.  

If you are on a tight budget, the expense can be overwhelming. 

I've already told you I personally can not afford to buy all organic - if you can, then you definitely should; but don't let money be the reason you don't eat real food.  Carrots, celery, broccoli and greens are all very affordable.  You can save money by NOT planning ahead and instead buying what produce and fresh meats are on sale.  I regularly buy meat that is discounted because it is close to the sell-by date; I use it right away, or put it in the freezer.

If you garden, shop local fruit stands, can your own foods, or raise animals for food, then you are way ahead of the game - celebrate your wise way of life, and remember to share with and educate others.  

Don't be ashamed to take advantage of local food banks either, if you really need to.  Unfortunately, much of what comes through these charities is the worst kind of processed foods, but, you also can usually find rather healthy staples like rice and beans, and even canned veggies are better than no veggies at all.  I simply pass on the things I will not eat to other charities or to people I know who will use them. 

The reality is, we all do "splurge" once in a while, sometimes because we can afford to, and sometimes because a crazy schedule or sudden change in plans calls for it.  

If you are right in the middle of a very strict 28-day anti-candida diet plan, and something "comes up", then you are faced with a serious choice - you can choose to forgo the diet and go right back to your old habits, or you can stick with it and figure out a way to make it work.  Don't fool yourself into thinking you can skip the diet plan today and pick up where you left off tomorrow - do you really have that kind of self discipline?  

This weekend, my husband decided to surprise me with an overnight stay away from home.  His romantic gesture means a little extra thought and expense for food, without much prior planning.  We will be eating at least one meal at a restaurant, whether it be fast food or sit-down.   Salad is the best option for me right now - hold the tomato, cheese, croutons and dressing.  (I should state here that, once you get used to eating real food, you will find you don't need to smother your salad anymore - just of splash a lemon juice and a sprinkle of salt really brings out the flavors of fresh vegetables.)   Fish, turkey and vegetarian dishes can also work.  If you suffer from debilitating pain or fatigue, then you already know you have to learn to make the best of a difficult situation - otherwise, you will just be miserable.

I will also buy food this weekend that is convenient for "on the road" dining (in a motel room, or in the car).  Seaweed chips are a favorite of mine and really very inexpensive.  Some deli's offer turkey (and other lunch meats) that are minimally processed and contain no artificial ingredients or added nitrates.  Veggies that I usually cook are great (and much healthier) raw - broccoli, celery, and even zucchini are wonderful crunchy snacks.

Once you have made the choice to change the way you eat and better your health, don't look back.  Give your body a time to cleanse itself of all the garbage that's been in control for so long, learn your trigger foods and how to avoid them, and celebrate your health.   For me, it only took a few weeks to see real results, but it was a whole year before I had no more pain - and even then I was still dealing with fatigue and food cravings, which is why I decided to do this diet now.  

Stay the course - I promise, your body will thank you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment