Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Day 17 - What About Probiotics?

Almost all of the information I've read on candida and anti-candida diets includes probiotics as part of the protocol for eliminating unwanted candida overgrowth and restoring a healthy balance in the gut.  

When probiotics are mentioned, most people think first of yogurt.  Yogurt is known for containing probiotics that are supposed to be very healthy, especially for digestion.  Learning that I was dairy intolerant did explain why yogurt never worked for me.  But then, after I had cut out dairy, I learned I could buy probiotics in a pill form and that I could get "dairy free" strains.  After two days of taking the supplements, I had to quit because of serious gastrointestinal problems.  I tried one or two more times after that, but always with the same result.  No probiotics supplements for me.

If you have been dealing with candida overgrowth, taking probiotics is an excellent way to replace the good bacteria that is needed for a healthy gut and a healthy body.  However, there are many, many different strains of probiotics, and "shopping around" can be a daunting task.  

As of yet, I haven't mentioned probiotics, because I want to keep this diet as simple - and cost effective - as possible. I also know how important it is to get everything your body needs from real food, as much as you possibly can.

When we have completed this very strict 28-day plan, we will reintroduce different foods back into the diet a little at a time - with dairy being the last.  At that time, a good, healthy yogurt, with no artificial stuff, might be a good place to start.  In the mean time, here is some information on other foods that are good sources of probiotics...





Remember, getting to know your body, and what it needs and what it doesn't, is the most important thing you can ever do for your health.







No comments:

Post a Comment