Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Day 16 - Is Gluten Free For Me?

I went "gluten free" back in October of 2012, as part of the big dietary changes I made back then.  Since then, I've had plenty of people ask me, "What happens if you eat gluten?"  My response - "I don't know.  I haven't tried it."  

I know what happens to me if I eat certain dairy products - congestion begins within an hour, within two days bronchitis has set in, and the next four to eight weeks of my life are pretty miserable.  

I know what happens to me if I eat corn syrup - fibromyalgia flare up, every fiber of my being just hurts.

I don't eat those things at all anymore, because I know the consequences.  I don't eat gluten anymore, partly because I don't know the consequences - and I'm just not willing to take the risk. The funny thing is, during my years of trying to get a diagnosis, I had gluten intolerance tests done two times within two years; both times, the test came back normal.  All I know is once I cut out the gluten, my fourteen-year battle with irritable bowel syndrome was over.  Not to mention, all of the other symptoms and troubles I had before that I don't have now.

I have heard a good many people say they need to go gluten free, but just haven't done it yet. I've heard lots and lots of people say things like, "I tried some gluten free foods, but it didn't really help me."  or , things like, "I tried the gluten free thing, but I didn't really stick with it."  

Those people are completely missing the point. 

Being "gluten free" isn't a fad.  It doesn't mean eating products that say "gluten free" on the label.  It's not a temporary thing.  And, it's not something you can "just sort of" do.

I've also been asked, "How come nobody was worried about gluten until recent years?"

Remember the article I shared a few posts ago on "Why your grandparents didn't have food allergies..." ?  The food we eat isn't the same as what our ancestors ate.  We use chemicals to grow foods, and then those foods are processed almost to the point of being unrecognizable.  We add more chemicals for flavor, color and preserving.  Some chemicals, we don't even know why they're added!  (If you haven't been following the big Subway bread thing, you might want to check that out.) 

Gluten intolerance is the result of years of eating processed foods that our bodies were not meant to digest.  Even if you don't have a problem with gluten, it's a good idea to avoid getting too much.  And foods with "gluten free" printed on the label are usually foods that have all kinds of starches and/or gums in them, which act the same way as gluten and may or may not get a negative reaction from your body.  All of those things should be avoided.  

I am definitely not a "purist".  I like my veggies raw, roasted and fried.  I do eat "junk food", and I enjoy it.  But I realize that it's best to keep real food as close to it's natural form as possible to reap the most benefits.  For many people that means the difference between good or poor health.

So, is gluten free for YOU?  You will have to stay completely away from all foods containing gluten, AND their replacements, for a while to see.  The best way to do that is to avoid grains and processed foods, and get plenty of fresh foods (you know, the kind with only one ingredient on the label).  Then, just listen to your body - you never know what you might learn!








  

No comments:

Post a Comment