Saturday, March 22, 2014

Day 20 - Crazy Days and Lazy Days

Life happens to all of us sometimes.  We all have crazy days.  days when we have to eat on the run, or forget to go shopping and have to make due with what we have in the house.  Days when we get lost on the road.  Days when we get our INs and OUTs all mixed up.  I don't know anyone who doesn't have days like that.  

The important thing is balance.  This is where the lazy days come in.  If you don't take a break sometimes, life will certainly overwhelm you, and things could get ugly quick.

When I started my new job, one week into my anti-candida diet, I wasn't sure how it would go.  I have suffered from chronic fatigue for more than 15 years; and even though I am now virtually pain free - as long as I watch what I eat - I was still very tired all the time, which was my biggest reason for putting together this 28-day plan.  It seems to be working.  I now work five days a week and spend a total of 42 hours working or in commute.  I have found myself running errands or grocery shopping after work, coming home and cooking real food, and spending time relaxing (and, of course, blogging) before bed.  It feels amazing to get through an entire day without even thinking about a nap.  

Nap time came for me today.  

Yesterday, I went to work with my husband, as we had a class to attend together in the evening.  It meant getting up an hour earlier in the morning and not getting home until bedtime.  To add to the crazy schedule, for some reason the two grocery stores I stopped at the day before were completely out of ground turkey - a turkey burger is my quick and easy go-to menu item, for any of all three meals, and I had intended to top a salad with one for lunch and bring along an extra for dinner.  I ended up buying pre-made frozen turkey burgers with the very frightening phrase "natural flavoring" listed as an ingredient.  I wasn't able to find anywhere online what exactly this natural substance might be, although rumors abound, and it was too late in the day to call the 800 number on the box.  I took a risk.  

All seems well.  Although I certainly wouldn't eat these regularly, they worked in a pinch.  

I brought my big salad and my tainted turkey burgers with me, and I brought along a handful of almonds for a mid day snack.  Since changing my diet, I've learned to pack a lunch, dinner, and even a Thanksgiving meal, in order to preserve my health and still get enough to eat.

If yesterday was a crazy day, today was a lazy day.  My husband came down with a terrible head cold yesterday, and I don't feel so well, myself.  Today was a day to sleep late and stay on the couch.  A day for napping.  A day for comfort food - which for him meant chicken noodle soup, and for me meant plain old fried eggs, and a delicious snack of baked rutabaga fries.

Lazy days are necessary sometimes, for our bodies to stay well.  You can eat a diet of all organic, raw, healthy foods all the time, drink enough water, and get plenty of exercise.  You can follow all the "rules", but if you don't take time to rest, then you are not really taking care of your body.  You can expect to feel tired and beaten down if you allow your work, family, or other obligations to take over.  A very wise person once said, "Stress will kill you, and so will housework if done properly." 

I love the idea of having a nap once a week, especially if I don't need one (or two) every day.  I love the idea of working hard all week and then having the weekend off.  I know everyone doesn't have that luxury, but I also know that taking care of your body should be a priority - no matter what else you have to sacrifice - because, in the long run, every area of your life will benefit from you being well.

Let your treats be real food.
And, take time to rest.




No comments:

Post a Comment