Thursday, March 27, 2014

Day 25 - Painting My Nails, and Other Healthy-Girl Stuff

Last night, I painted my nails.  

I don't do that very often.  I work with children, and I keep my fingernails trimmed short to avoid scratching while playing and tickling.  But, over this past month, I have seen a real improvement in the way my nails look, so I decided to celebrate with just a very little length... and some pink polish.




I remember being a teenager and always having my fingernails done.  I loved the whole process of filing and painting, choosing colors, the "me time".  My classmates in high school refused to believe my nails were real!  At some point in my young adult life, all of that ceased, as my nails refused to grow and became brittle and weak.  If they started to grow, the chipped and broke before getting very far.  I was disappointed, but I never attributed it to my health.  

Once I changed my diet, I saw a big improvement in my nails.  They were growing again!  Unfortunately, they still chipped and split easily, so I have been especially careful when special occasions are approaching when I might want to groom and show them off, but it hasn't always worked out.  

If you suffer from chronic fatigue, you know how hard it can be to think about things like this.  Not only do your work, home, and family feel the impact of your condition, but so do your hobbies, social life, and your personal self.  When you are just trying to muster enough energy to get through the day, sometimes the last thing on your list of priorities is you.  

The sad reality, however, is that if you don't take care of you, then you really won't be much good to anybody else.

When you make big changes to take care of the inside of your body, the outside will show it.  Whether it be healthier fingernails, hair or skin,  the way you walk when you are no longer in pain, or brighter eyes and smile when you can stay awake through the day, others are likely to notice a change.  Even better, you will begin to feel like you have the energy to take care of the outside of your body - you can begin to exercise, and you can afford time to pamper yourself with long baths, or manicures and other special treatments.  

My fingernails are stronger now than they have been in many years.  But that is such a small thing compared to all of the other wonderful improvements eating real food has made in my life.  Living in constant pain and exhaustion is really barely living.  

When was the last time you felt like taking some time for you and the outside of your body?  If it's been too long, then maybe it's time to make some big changes for the inside first.




No comments:

Post a Comment