Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Day 10 - Some Days Are Better Than Others

Yesterday was a rough day for me.  Only the second day of my new job, and I was sent home with a ton of paperwork to fill out for employment, plus informed there were more fees involved than I had originally thought.  In the evening, I checked my bank account and realized that, because of a mistake I had made, my account was seriously overdrawn.  I tried to stay up late to greet my husband when he came home from work, but he was later than I expected, and I ended up going to bed anyways.  Some days are like that.

Today was much better.  I realized that at some point, my sugary-food cravings have gone, and I'm feeling better, physically, than I was during week 1 of my anti-candida diet.  I have been taking salad to work every day - baby spinach, red leaf lettuce, kale, broccoli, celery, and either two hard boiled eggs, or a turkey burger.  I sprinkle a little sea salt on the salad in the morning, and by lunch time it is amazing - I don't even bother with dressing!

Today was also a cold, dreary, spring-had-sprung-but-winter-is-making-a-last-hoorah kind of day.  From rain, to freezing rain, to snow, and plenty of wind to go with it all.

It was a soup-for-supper kind of day.

And, I just happened to have a head of broccoli in the fridge that was getting just a little wilty. Don't want that good, fresh broccoli to go to waste, now; so it's a good thing I know thee best way to make broccoli soup!

If you, like a few people I know, are turned off by green food, then you may as well just skip this post.  But, if you like broccoli soup (or, if you like broccoli and you like soup and you are willing to give it a try), then you don't want to miss this.  I found this recipe online a few years ago, and I didn't believe it myself until I tried it.  

Two ingredients.  

Very healthy, and very affordable.

All you need is broccoli and water.  Yep, that's it.  For real.

Oh, and you will need a blender.

Chop up your broccoli in small pieces - this is another good way to use up those stems.  I had about 4 cups of chopped broccoli, which ended up making two bowls of soup.  


 Boil the broccoli in a pot of water until it is very soft.  Yes, I do realize that boiling takes away a god bit of the nutritional content, but this is, after all, soup.  In the long run, it's going to be much better for you than opening a can of condensed broccoli and cheddar.

Drain the broccoli, BUT save the water you cooked it in.

Rinse the broccoli in cold water, and then put it into your blender, with a cup of cold water. Blend on high until the broccoli is completely pureed.  You may have to add a bit more water, depending on the quality of your blender, to get it all pureed and mixed up nicely.


Next, pour the puree into a clean pot and add some of your reserved hot water, a little at a time, until your soup has reached the consistency that you like.  Bring to a boil, and stir in a little salt if you like.


This has got to be one of the easiest and most inexpensive meals I have ever made.  Perfect for a cold day, simple and delicious.



No comments:

Post a Comment